I am a senior researcher at Vienna University of Technology (Austria). My current research focuses on Long-term Human-Robot Interaction with service robots. My general research interests are user-centered design and evaluation studies for Human-Computer Interaction and Human-Robot Interaction with a focus on in-the-wild studies and controlled experiments. I am especially interested in the impact technology has on our everyday life and what makes people accept or reject technology. Before my position in Vienna I was a postdoc researcher at the HCI&Usability Unit, of the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria and at the Christian Doppler Laboratory on “Contextual Interfaces” at University of Salzburg. I hold a master’s degree in sociology and a PhD in social sciences from the University of Salzburg. During my studies she specialized on methodologies of empirical social research and applied statistics. From September 2011 until January 2012 I was on a short-term sabbatical at the University of Amsterdam, Intelligent Systems Lab and the University of Twente, HMI group to work with Vanessa Evers on Cross-Cultural studies in Human-Robot Interaction. I have published in conferences such as HRI, RO-MAN, and ICSR and journals such as International Journal of Social Robotics, Autonomous Robots, and the Journal of HRI. I am regularly member of Program and Organizing Committees related to HRI research.
ACIN Insititute of Automation and Control
Vienna University of Technology
1040 Vienna, Austria
2005-2010: PhD in Social Sciences at the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria.
PhD thesis on “Validation of an Evaluation Framework for Human-Robot Interaction“.
Supervisors: Prof. Martin Weichbold and Prof. Manfred Tscheligi.
Oral exam: March 17th, 2010.
2000-2005: MA in Sociology, specialization in methods of empirical social research and applied statistics, University of Salzburg, Austria.
MA thesis on “Innovationen im Österreichischen Alpentourismus“ (eng: Innovations in the Austrian Alps Tourism).
Supervisor: Prof. Reinhard Bachleitner.
Oral exam: March 4th, 2005.
Areas of Expertise:
- Human-Robot Interaction theories and methodologies
- Human-Computer Interaction theories and methodologies
- Social Interfaces
- Methods of empirical social research and applied statistics
since Oct.2017: Senior researcher (Elise Richter awardee), Institute of Design and Assessment of Technology, Human Computer Interaction Group, led by Prof. Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Vienna University of Technology, Austria.
May. 2013-Jul.2016: Postdoctoral researcher (Hertha Firnberg awardee), ACIN Institute of Automation and Control, Vision4Robotics group, led by Prof. Markus Vincze, Vienna University of Technology, Austria.
Sep. 2011-Jan. 2012: Visiting research fellow, Intelligent Systems Lab, led by Prof. Frans Groen, the University of Amsterdam and Human Media Interaction Group, led by Prof. Vanessa Evers, University of Twente, the Netherlands (5 months).
Apr. 2010-Feb.2013: Postdoctoral researcher, ICT&S-Center, Human-Computer Interaction & Usability Unit, led by Prof. Manfred Tscheligi, University of Salzburg, Austria.
2007-2010: Research and teaching assistant, ICT&S-Center, Human-Computer Interaction & Usability Unit, led by Prof. Manfred Tscheligi, University of Salzburg, Austria.
Sep. 2010: Visiting research fellow, Institute of Media and Communication Science, Media Design & Media Psychology team, led by Prof. Nicola Döring, Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany, (3 days).
Oct. 2009: Visiting research fellow, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), CNRS-AIST Joint Japanese-French Robotics Laboratory (JRL), led by Prof. Abderrahmane Kheddar, Tsukuba, Japan (2 weeks).
Sep. 2008: Short Term Scientific Mission (cost-action294: MAUSE), Institut de recherche en informatique de Toulouse (IRIT), IHCS group, led by Prof. Philippe Palanque, University of Toulouse, France (1 month).
2006-2007: Project collaborator for “ITV4all” project, ICT&S-Center Human-Computer Interaction & Usability Unit, University of Salzburg, Austria.
Oct. 2005 – Jun. 2006: Internship, ICT&S-Center Human-Computer Interaction & Usability Unit, University of Salzburg, Austria (3 months).
Oct. 2003 – Jun. 2004: Collaboration on the interdisciplinary study-project: “Leben 2014” (eng: Life 2014, development of future plans for the Austrian region Upper-Pinzgau with the sociological scenario technique), Institute of Sociology, led by Prof. Reinhard Bachleitner (6 months), University of Salzburg, Austria.
Affiliations to Research Projects:
- FWF project SharedSpace (Exploring Long-Term Human-Robot Interaction: What makes people accept or reject companion robots). 3-years project, starts in 2018, single person project (Elise Richter programme). Principal investigator 250.000€
- FFG project AssistMe (Human-zentrierte Assistenzrobotik in der Produktion). 2-years project, started in 2015 involving ACIN, Vienna University of Technology, PROFACTOR GmbH, BMW Motoren Sreyr GmbH, GPN GmbH. Principal investigator and leader of the ACIN group in the project (1 workpackage); 840.000€
- FWF project V4HRC (Vision-based Human-Robot Cooperation: Perspective Sharing). 3-years project, started in 2013, single person project (Hertha Firnberg programme). Principal investigator 220.000€
- FFG project GENUINE (Gender Inclusive User Interface Design). 2-years project, started in 2011, involving the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, and Vienna University of Technology. Principal investigator and leader of the ICT&S group in the project (2 workpackages) http://genuine.ict.tuwien.ac.at/; 400.000€
- FFG project PEEM (Persuasive End-user Energy Management). 2.5-years project, started in 2010, involving the ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, CURE, and Salzburg AG. Principal investigator and leader of the ICT&S group in the project (2 workpackages) http://peem.cure.at/; 150.000€
- European Specific Targeted Research Project IURO (Interactive Urban Robot). 3-year project, started in 2010, under contract FP7-ICT- 248314, involving 4 universities and 1 industrial partner. Principal investigator and leader of the ICT&S group in the project (1 workpackage) http://www.iuro-project.eu/; 2 Mio€
- Christian Doppler Laboratory “Contextual Interfaces“. 5-year project, started in 2009, involving University of Salzburg and 2 industrial partners. Principal investigator and leader of the research module “Contextual Interfaces for the Factory” http://www.contextual-interfaces.org/
Relevant International Cooperation Partners:
- Intelligent Systems Lab, University of Amsterdam and Human Media Interaction Group, University of Twente: Prof. Vanessa Evers
- Institute of Automatic Control Engineering, Technische Universität München: Prof. Martin Buss, Dr. Kolja Kühnlenz, Dr. Dirk Wollherr, Dr. Angelika Peer
- CNRS/AIST Joint French-Japanese Robotics Laboratory, France: Prof. Abderramahne Kheddar, Dr. Oliver Stasse
- Learning Algorithms and Systems Laboratory, EPFL Lausanne: Prof. Aude Billard, Dr. Sylvain Callinon
- Teaching at the Vienna University of Technolgy: Optional course for all faculties
- Basics in Human-Robot Interaction WS2013/14, SS 2014, WS2014/15, SS2015
- Teaching at the University of Salzburg, Department of Computer Science, Courses in Human-Computer Interaction
- PS Usability and User Experience Engineering: SS2012, SS2011, SS2009, WS2007/08
- SE HCI Studio: SS2011, WS2008/09, SS2007
- VP HCI Anwendungen (eng. HCI Applications): SS2012, SS2009,
- VP User Interface Design: WS2010/11, WS2009/10
- PS Grundlagen der HCI (eng. Basics in HCI): WS2007/08